Replies: 110   Last Post: Dec 10, 2013 4:33 AM

Tucsondrew@me.com

Re: Uncountability of the Real Numbers Without Decimals

On Monday, December 2, 2013 6:36:40 AM UTC-7, WM wrote:
> Am Montag, 2. Dezember 2013 09:09:39 UTC+1 schrieb Zeit Geist:
>

> > The following is a Proof of the Uncountability of the Set of real Numbers. Please note that it avoids the use the Representation of the Real Numbers as Infinite Decimals. It uses only the Property of Completeness (that every Set of Real Numbers that is bounded above has a Least Upper Bound which is a Real Number); and some Properties due to the Ordering of the Real Numbers, such as if x is Real Number then there exist Real Numbers a and b such that a < b and x ~e [ a, b ].
>
> > The proof proceeds by Contradiction. We assume the Set of Real Numbers is Countable, and thus can be exhausted in a Sequence.
>
> And that is the point at which further reading is absolutely useless.

Then why did you keep reading?

> M_1 = empty set, M_{n+1} = (M_n U (n-1, n]) - {q_n}
>
> wher (n, n+1] is the semi-opem interval that contains all rational numbers q with n < q =< n+1 and q_n is the n-th rational in Cantor's enumeration of all rationals.

So, an enigmatic s of the rationals is possible?
You seem to have said in previous post that it wasn't.

> The notion of countability requires that lim M_n = { } for n --> oo.
>
> No sober mind will accept that.

How do you know q_n is in your semi-open interval and isn't added in later?

> > I find the proof rather straight forward. Question, comments, suggestions and corrections are welcome.
>
> What step produces the first undefinable number from a given set of defined numbers?

None or maybe any. The proof just uses existence non-empty intervals. Unless you think some of those intervals are empty?

And please discuss "definable reals" until you have solid Mathematical conception of the idea.

> Regards, WM

ZG

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com