Replies: 110   Last Post: Dec 10, 2013 4:33 AM

wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de

Re: Uncountability of the Real Numbers Without Decimals

Am Dienstag, 3. Dezember 2013 09:03:43 UTC+1 schrieb Virgil:
> In article <07540d8d-68c9-4227-bfbb-d99542678ac0@googlegroups.com>,
>
> WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > > If you didn't keep reading, how do you know it was a rendition of Cantor's
>
> > > First Proof?
>

> > I saw it immediately.
>

> While it does start out like Cantor's proof. if differs in a number of
>
> details, just as did my own proof pubished here not too long ago.

This is the starting point of Cantor's first proof and all its variants: Let a sequence be gicen. With this assumption the limit is given as a defined number. To waste all naturals for the enumeration of the terms of the sequence is a very simple trick. Not convincing. |N could even be wasted for half of the terms. Or, after one sequence has been enumerated, the existence of further sequences could be used as a "proof" of uncountable sets.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
William Elliot