Replies: 110   Last Post: Dec 10, 2013 4:33 AM

Tucsondrew@me.com

Re: Uncountability of the Real Numbers Without Decimals

On Monday, December 2, 2013 11:58:51 PM UTC-7, WM wrote:
> Am Dienstag, 3. Dezember 2013 04:02:09 UTC+1 schrieb Zeit Geist:
>

> > > I did not. I know Cantor's first "proof" very well.
>
> > If you didn't keep reading, how do you know it was a rendition of Cantor's First Proof?
>
> I saw it immediately. And I know what you seem to have forgotten: The limit of a sequence is never defined by the terms of the sequence, how many you ever may calculate. The limit is defined by the *formula*, the definition of the sequence. This is the starting point of Cantor's first proof: Sei irgendeine Folge *gegeben*. With this assumption the limit is given as a defined number. To waste all naturals for the enumeration of the terms of the sequence is a very simple trick. Not convincing.

If you have read, and understood, the Proof you will realize that NO Specific Limit is actually "Calculated". We build an Increasing Sequence of Real Numbers, { a_n | n e N }. We Prove this Sequence is bounded. We then use an Axiom of the Theory of Real Numbers ( the one that says that any Set of Real Numbers that is bounded has a LUB that is a Number ) to show that this Sequence has a LUB. We, finally, show that the Existence of this Real Number ( the LUB ) results in a Contradiction when we assume that Real Numbers are Countable.

Also, that "Given Sequence" from Cantor is, supposedly, the Set of ALL Real Numbers put into a Sequence. If it contains Every Real Number, then it unbounded both above and below, and therefore does not have a Limit in the Set of Real Numbers. You confuses the Sequences.

And, it's not a "trick" it is a Valid Mathematical practice.

> Regards, WM

ZG

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com