The Math Forum

Replies: 110   Last Post: Dec 10, 2013 4:33 AM

Tucsondrew@me.com

Re: Uncountability of the Real Numbers Without Decimals

On Tuesday, December 3, 2013 4:09:52 AM UTC-7, Albrecht wrote:
> On Monday, December 2, 2013 9:09:39 AM UTC+1, Zeit Geist wrote:
>
> You are right with the fact that there is no sequence X = { x_n | n e N } of all reals. If you define this fact as Uncountability, the reals are uncountable. Okay.
>
> But does this mean that there are more reals than naturals? No.
>
> Without Axiom of Infinity and Axiom of Powerset: Anyway: No.
>
> And with AoI and AoP: No. Because ZFC has to have a countable model and the quantifiers "less" and "more" are irrelevant in the domain of infinity.
>
> Infinity/Ceaselessness is a quality , not a quantity.

A fine Philosophy, but I work in the context of Modern Mathematics. Usually within a Model of ZF(C). Here Y is "more than" X is defined as:

1. There exists a Surjective Function from Y to X.
2. No Function from X to Y is a Surjection.

Even though the Model may only be Countable, there is NO Surjection from N to R in the Model. Hence, there are "more" Reals than Naturals. A Surjection from R to N is trivial.

ZG

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
William Elliot