Replies: 110   Last Post: Dec 10, 2013 4:33 AM

Virgil

Re: Uncountability of the Real Numbers Without Decimals

In article <cf3cd440-341e-4155-8ca0-b3d46cf16fed@googlegroups.com>,
WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 3. Dezember 2013 04:02:09 UTC+1 schrieb Zeit Geist:
>

> > > I start with the enumeration: 1, 1/2, 2/1, 1/3, 3/1, 1/4, 2/3, 3/2, 4/1,
> > > ... The numbers q_n are always in the intervals already added.

> > Then each rational is eventually counted at some time.
> >
> > Yes, at each step your Set is infinite.

> So you speak of the limit after all finite steps?

> > However, for some step, each rational is counted (removed).
> >
> > Thus, every rational is counted.

> No You forget the decisive condition: Every rational *which is followed by
> infinitely many uncounted rationals* is counted at some time. This holds also
> for the limit since there is no last rational.

Nevertheless every rational gets counted, just as every natural has a
successor but, at least outside of WM's wild weird world of
WMytheology, we have a set containing of all of them.

> I do not understand

We know!
--

Date Subject Author