The Math Forum

Replies: 110   Last Post: Dec 10, 2013 4:33 AM

Virgil

Re: Uncountability of the Real Numbers Without Decimals

In article <9177adbd-3ea2-4ce4-84bb-dc52921a3f56@googlegroups.com>,
WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 3. Dezember 2013 09:03:43 UTC+1 schrieb Virgil:
> > In article <07540d8d-68c9-4227-bfbb-d99542678ac0@googlegroups.com>,
> >
> > WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > > I saw it immediately.
> >

> > While it does start out like Cantor's proof. if differs in a number of
> >
> > details, just as did my own proof pubished here not too long ago.
> >

> This is the starting point of Cantor's first proof and all its variants: Let
> a sequence be gicen. With this assumption the limit is given as a defined
> number.

If that is what WM thinks, he has not read those proofs carefully enough

> To waste all naturals for the enumeration of the terms of the
> sequence is a very simple trick.

To tose who actually understand such proofs, it is not a waste, but the
time that WM has spent misreading those proofs apparently is a waste as
he does not understand them.

> Not convincing.

Neither is WM's deliberate misrepresentation of what those proofs
actually say.
--

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com