The Math Forum

Replies: 110   Last Post: Dec 10, 2013 4:33 AM

fom

Re: Uncountability of the Real Numbers Without Decimals

On 12/2/2013 8:34 PM, Zeit Geist wrote:
> On Monday, December 2, 2013 1:58:01 PM UTC-7, WM wrote:
>>

>> Fine, then undefinable numbers cannot result from any Cantor-argument - and other theories do not contain them. So, why the heck do you think undefinable numbers exist?
>>

> Although quite useful, not all of Set Theory depends on the Diagonal Argument.
>
> In fact, the existence or non-existence of non-constructible Real Numbers is Independent from the Axioms of ZFC.
>
> Some Models contain them, and some don't

To the extent that WM's statements may be compared
with typical mathematics, he does not speak
of constructible reals.

One of the properties of terms introduced using
definite descriptions is that they are eliminable
from the formal language when the logic is first-order
logic with identity.

The reason they are eliminable is because the definiens
which expresses the properties that uniquely identify
the object may be proven to identify no more than one
object.

To the best that I can tell, this corresponds with Cohen's
minimal model. Such a model is discussed in Mary Tiles'
book. But, she does not identify it with Cohen's model.

Where Cohen discusses his model in terms of a cumulative
hierarchy, it explicitly does not include a reflexive
subset relation for the purpose of hierarchical construction.
So, no object enters the model implicitly by virtue of
the power set operation.

That would suggest that the only meaningful objects in
the model are those which can be correlated in some
way with descriptions.

But, I could be wrong. I have no verification from
any outside sources.

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
William Elliot