Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

Am Donnerstag, 5. Dezember 2013 09:01:17 UTC+1 schrieb Virgil:
> In article <424e4957-324e-46bc-87b2-4f58800d5a44@googlegroups.com>,
>
> WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > > It certainly contains more than any FIS(n).
>

> > That is clear but not sufficient
>

> How is it not sufficient? If it contains more than any FIS then it
>
> obviously cannot be equal to any FIS.

For any (given) FIS there is a FIS which contains more.
Something that cannot be equal to any FIS, must contain more than all FIS.

> At least outside of WM's wild weird world of WMytheology.

No, you have exchanged quantifiers!
More than any given is not more than all given.

> > Forall n: The digits up to d_n are not sufficient to differ from the whole
>
> > list.
>
> > How should d differ from the whole list if it contained only all d_n which
>
> > are provably insufficient?
>

> Since it does not contian ONLY those positions

contained only all d_n. Well then you have further information that cannot be expressed by digits d_n.

> > Proof: Take any n. The number of predecessors is finite, namely n-1, the
>
> > number of successors is infinite, namely larger than any finite number.
>

> Actually infinite! But that concession does not support your case.

Two mistakes in one line.

> > Therefore the standard answer: d differs from all entries l_n because for
>
> > every l_n we can find a digit where it differs from d, is useless. After
>
> > every l_n there follow infinitely many.
>

> But to differ from any one of the d_n, it is sufficient for it to differ
>
> from THAT d_n in any one place out of an actual inifinity of places, so
>
> it can differ from infinitely many of the each at a different place.

But it cannot differ from all.

> d has as many places as there are d_n's to differ from.

And the list has as many entries as are required to supply all finite digit sequences to every d_n.
The rationals-complete list is the Binary Tree without irrational paths. Try to find a node of the complete Binary Tree that can be removed when you remove the path of 1/sqrt(5).

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
[...]
[...]