Replies: 3   Last Post: Dec 6, 2013 3:08 PM

Ben Bacarisse

Re: Uncountability of the Real Numbers Without Decimals

WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> writes:

> Am Donnerstag, 5. Dezember 2013 13:57:41 UTC+1 schrieb Ben Bacarisse:
>> WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> writes:

>> > Potential infinity! Never "all".

>> > Have you ever observed a natural number other than of the initial
>> > 0-%-set? No. And would you accept my book as the authority to falsify
>> > that fact (if it said so)?

>> I would not accept your book as an authority on anything. I am assuming
>> that you, however, agree with it's contents. Why do your formulas
>> define a bijection but Virgil's do not?

> My approach to mathematics is the classical one, including potential
> infinity. There is a limit of a sequence like
> 0.1
> 0.11
> 0.111
>
> namely 1/9, but there are not "all" terms. So one cannot count them.
> A bijection like n <--> 2n exists up to every desired or "taken"
> natural number. Same is with Virgil's enumeration of the
> rationals.

That's OK then. You agree that there is a bijections between N and Q
just like this ones you define in your book. Is your point a quibble
about words then? Does a bijection not define and enumeration? It does
for the rest of us.

> But to obtain equinumerousity, you have to reach *all*
> terms (or to exclude d from the rationals-complete Cantor-list). And
> that is impossible, as you could easily understanbd, if you really
> tried to use a natural number that does not belong to the first 0
> percent. Why don't you try it?

No need. In mathematics the bijection defines an enumeration, and with
the convenience of actual infinite sets, all elements are mapped. To
top it off, we also define equinumerousity that way.

--
Ben.