Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

Tucsondrew@me.com

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

On Thursday, December 5, 2013 12:25:24 AM UTC-7, WM wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 5. Dezember 2013 08:18:02 UTC+1 schrieb Virgil:
>

> > > You used an existential statement, namely:
>
> > > There exists a certain property of d that cannot be derived from any d_n.
>
> Whether or not something like d is in the rationals-complete list can only be judged by means of the d_n - at least in mathematics.

How can we judged the properties of a given object based the properties of a set of others object which the given object is not a member of?

Its like saying are cats are feline, hence my dog is a feline.

> > > What is the reason for this strange behaviour?
>
> > Because d is not one of the d_n, it can have properties that none of
> > them can have, like not being one of them.

> The property of differing or not depedns on the d_n only. Note that Cantor's diagonal argument only uses the d_n.

The property of differing depends on All place values of the decimal representation of d.

> Regards, WM

ZG

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
[...]
[...]