Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

fom

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

On 12/5/2013 1:04 PM, Zeit Geist wrote:
> On Thursday, December 5, 2013 12:49:37 AM UTC-7, fom wrote:
>

>> No. It also uses the fact that the listing may be
>>
>> arbitrarily given,
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithmically_random_sequence#Interpretations_of_the_definitions

> Be careful here, the "arbitrarily chose" sequence does Not need to be a "random" sequence.
> It is just a sequence of Real Numbers who only properties is that it IS a sequence of Real Numbers that "supposedly" contains all Real Numbers.
>
> We are randomly choosing a Real Number Sequence, and Not choosing a Sequence whose elements are in a random distribution.

These sequences are not random. They are random in
relation to constructive methods.

WM's ( and Herc's ) idea that the given sequence
can be "conditioned" in some manner that restricts
the sequence to constructive mathematics can only
apply to a set of measure zero.

The arbitrariness of the given sequence precludes
one from being able to apply epistemic reasoning.

Where WM is probably correct is that if the notion
of "given sequence" is epistemically bound in the
first place and if one does not admit a completed
infinity, then one is given a sequence in that
set of measure zero and one cannot implement the
Cantor diagonal.

Unfortunately, I do not know enough about the
formalism to know if that can be made rigorous.

The counter-argument is that the epistemically
bound sequence cannot be completed by virtue
of rejection of a completed infinity. Hence,
what is given is either plural or vague.

But, that argument carries no weight for someone
who accepts the syntactic grounding of numbers
as strokes in an alphabet. All notions of identity
resolve to syntactic stipulations and, in the final
analysis, to inscriptional identity based upon
the shape of letters in the constructive alphabets.

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
fom
[...]
[...]