Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

fom

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

On 12/5/2013 2:28 PM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:
> On 12/05/2013 01:04 PM, Zeit Geist wrote:
>> On Thursday, December 5, 2013 12:49:37 AM UTC-7, fom wrote:
>>

>>> No. It also uses the fact that the listing may be
>>>
>>> arbitrarily given,
>>>
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Algorithmically_random_sequence#Interpretations_of_the_definitions
>>>

>> Be careful here, the "arbitrarily chose" sequence does Not need to be
>> a "random" sequence.
>> It is just a sequence of Real Numbers who only properties is that it
>> IS a sequence of Real Numbers that "supposedly" contains all Real
>> Numbers.

> There is no need for the assumption that it contains all reals. We can
> prove that no sequence of reals contains all of them without having to
> first assume that it does.

I had to think about that.

Cantor's proof had been directed to an audience
who thought of "infinity" as a monolithic concept.
Proving that any list asserting to put the set
of reals in correspondence with the naturals was,
in fact, not a complete list demonstrated that
"infinity" could be viewed as a plural notion subject
to logical analysis.

Your statement reflects Hilbert's formalism. In his
papers he specifically mentions how the ideal formal
axioms relegate the class-based constructions of
Dedekind and Cantor to definable structures within
the theory. Thus, they lose the import they have
outside of a formalist theory.

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
[...]
[...]