The Math Forum

Replies: 110   Last Post: Dec 10, 2013 4:33 AM

Virgil

Re: Uncountability of the Real Numbers Without Decimals

In article <bf5bb055-6eb2-4607-9abe-4e462c448dd0@googlegroups.com>,
WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 3. Dezember 2013 19:56:05 UTC+1 schrieb Zeit Geist:

Maybe so in WM's wild weird world of WMytheology,
but outside of WMytheology it is quite easy to do.

> > So does the Set of Natural Numbers, but I can still say, "For All n e N,
> > ... ".

> chuckle.
> Of course you can say so. But that does not change any mathematical facts.

Nor does WM's unsupported and unsupportable objection prove his case.

> > Suppose for some Property phi, that For Every n e N, phi(n) is the case.
> >
> > Hence, there is NO Natural Number, m, such that ~phi(m) is the case.
> >
> > Therefore, For All n e N, phi(n) is the case.
> >

> > Unless, of course, you reject the Law of the Excluded Middle.
> >

> I do not. You can state that every natural number is either even or od. But
> you cannot "take" most of the natural numbers for any purpose.

"Most" of them is no less than all but finitely many of them, so I find
it quite true to take it that most of them require more than a single
decimal digit to represent tnem.

> > From this we can form function from N to other Sets. This, we can prove
> > that the Set of Rational Numbers are Not Countable.

Actually the set of rationals is countable by the standard definition of
being "countable".

> Have you a definition of "set". Who told you that you can take all natural
> numbers for your function?

Common sense, which WM lacka.

> > No, there could be last Rational in my ordering, say q_l. However, the Set
> > Q \ {q_l} must contain a Sub-Order isomorphic to omega, the Order Type of
> > the Natural Numbers.

> First answer whether you have been able to take a natural number that does
> not belong to the first 0 %.

The empty set is 0% of any set except itself.
And until WM can demostrate 1% and other percents of |N, his 0% is not a
defineable subset of |N, so does not exist.

> > > There is no way to circumvent this simple fact. Closing eyes or stamping
> > > feet or shouting axioms will not help.

Which is why WM will always fail.

--

Date Subject Author