Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

Virgil

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

In article <9c3e2d61-ea2d-4341-815c-81fe8584b98e@googlegroups.com>,
WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 5. Dezember 2013 20:35:08 UTC+1 schrieb Zeit Geist:

> > > Why say no? Of course the listing may be arbitrarily given. Nevertheless
> > > the decisive point is that d_n =/= a_nn.

> > > And it forgets two crucial aspects: 1) A list could contain all rational
> > > numbers. 2) No d_n is out of all rational numbers.

> > But, d might Not be rational, and if your given List contains only
> > Rationals then the anti-diagonal is not.

> If you insist that the irrational antidiagonal differs from every entry of
> the list, you must use a digit d_oo, because up to every d_n it does not
> differ.

It differs from d)1 at position 1 and d_2 at position 2,
from each d_n at position n. I was not aware that it had to differ from
any entry in more than one place to be differnt from it.

> If you don't say so, you must agree that an irrational number cannot be
> defined by its digits but only by a formula supplying every digit.

That is irrelevant to Cantor's diagonal argument.

At least outside of WM's wild weird world of WMytheology, the
DEFINITION of a set being countable is that there must exist a
surjection from |N to that set, in other words a list of all that set's
members. so unless WM his a different definition of countability that he
uses only in his wild weird world of WMytheology, so
either all reals can be put into a list or the set of reals is
uncountable.
Cantor proved that not all reals can be put into a list.

And WM hs not proved tha all eals CAN be listed.
And until he has, the set of reals will remain NOT countable.
--

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
[...]
Michael F. Stemper
[...]