The Math Forum

Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

Virgil

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

In article <60e9316e-33a6-4482-a4e1-f03e6b1c3ce1@googlegroups.com>,
WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> wrote:

> > > Whether or not something like d is in the rationals-complete list can
> > > only be judged by means of the d_n - at least in mathematics.

Without any need to consider d itself? How unusual!

> No unsuitable analogies please. The difference of d and all entries of the
> list, if existing, does not fall down from heaven. It can be proven by digits
> which belong to FIS as well as to d or it cannot be proven.

And given that each d_n is a real number, there is always a real number d
different from all of the d_n's.

> > > The property of differing or not depends on the d_n only.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countable_set

In mathematics, a countable set is a set with the same cardinality
(number of elements) as some subset of the set of natural numbers. A set
that is not countable is called uncountable. The term was originated by
Georg Cantor. The elements of a countable set can be counted one at a
time and although the counting may never finish, every element of the
set will eventually be associated with a natural number.

So a shorter definition is that a set is countable if and only if its
elements can be entirely listed.

Thus we need to ask whether the reals can be entirely listed.

Can a list of real numbers contain every real number?

Cantor showed that for EVERY list of real numbers there was a least one
real number missing.

Thus the reals cannot be COMPLETELY listed.

Thus they cannot be counted, and the set of them is uncountable.
--

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
[...]
Michael F. Stemper
[...]