The Math Forum

Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

Am Freitag, 6. Dezember 2013 03:00:28 UTC+1 schrieb Virgil:

> Without any need to consider d itself? How unusual!

If d consists of nothing but the d_n it is true. Whether it may be usual or unusual is of no interest.

> > No unsuitable analogies please. The difference of d and all entries of the
>
> > list, if existing, does not fall down from heaven. It can be proven by digits
>
> > which belong to FIS as well as to d or it cannot be proven.
>

> And given that each d_n is a real number, there is always a real number d
>
> different from all of the d_n's.

That shows the contradictory character of finished infinity:
It is impossible to distinguish a real number d by its digits from all other real numbers.
It is possible to distinguish a real number d by its digits from all other real numbers.

> In mathematics, a countable set is a set with the same cardinality
>
> (number of elements) as some subset of the set of natural numbers.

Therefore the set of numbers defined by finite definition which is a subset of the set of all finite words is a countable set, notwithstanding the way how finite definitions are defined and how they define numbers. We need only know that a finite definition is a finite word and that one finite word does never define more than one number (in fact not more than countably many numbers would be sufficient).

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
[...]
[...]