Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

albrecht

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

On Friday, December 6, 2013 3:00:28 AM UTC+1, Virgil wrote:

> Without any need to consider d itself? How unusual!
>

> > No unsuitable analogies please. The difference of d and all entries of the
>
> > list, if existing, does not fall down from heaven. It can be proven by digits
>
> > which belong to FIS as well as to d or it cannot be proven.
>

> And given that each d_n is a real number, there is always a real number d
>
> different from all of the d_n's.

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Countable_set
>

> In mathematics, a countable set is a set with the same cardinality
>
> (number of elements) as some subset of the set of natural numbers. A set
>
> that is not countable is called uncountable. The term was originated by
>
> Georg Cantor. The elements of a countable set can be counted one at a
>
> time and although the counting may never finish, every element of the
>
> set will eventually be associated with a natural number.
>

> So a shorter definition is that a set is countable if and only if its
>
> elements can be entirely listed.
>

> Thus we need to ask whether the reals can be entirely listed.
>

> Can a list of real numbers contain every real number?
>

> Cantor showed that for EVERY list of real numbers there was a least one
>
> real number missing.
>

> Thus the reals cannot be COMPLETELY listed.
>

> Thus they cannot be counted, and the set of them is uncountable.
>
> --

The diagonal argument from Georg Cantor is so silly and easy to destroy. Let's have a "antidiagonal" of all natural numbers. No problem: For any list of naturals we can take the first number and change it by adding 1 to gain d_1, take the second number and, if different from d_1, change it by adding 1 to gain d_2, else d_2:=d_1, and so on.
For all numbers of the list, the (equivalent to Cantor's antidiagonal) gained antidiagonal d_list is natural (proof: a natural +1 is natural) and different from any number of the list (proof: it is at least 1 more than every number of the list by construction) and thus the list isn't complete. Since this holds for _any_ list of naturals --> the naturals are uncountable.

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
fom
[...]
[...]