Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

Michael F. Stemper

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

On 12/05/2013 02:42 PM, fom wrote:
> On 12/5/2013 2:28 PM, Michael F. Stemper wrote:

>>> Be careful here, the "arbitrarily chose" sequence does Not need to be
>>> a "random" sequence.
>>> It is just a sequence of Real Numbers who only properties is that it
>>> IS a sequence of Real Numbers that "supposedly" contains all Real
>>> Numbers.

>> There is no need for the assumption that it contains all reals. We can
>> prove that no sequence of reals contains all of them without having to
>> first assume that it does.

> I had to think about that.

Now, you've caused me to think. Specifically, about the following
paragraph:

> Cantor's proof had been directed to an audience
> who thought of "infinity" as a monolithic concept.
> Proving that any list asserting to put the set
> of reals in correspondence with the naturals was,
> in fact, not a complete list demonstrated that
> "infinity" could be viewed as a plural notion subject
> to logical analysis.

Unfortunately, even after sleeping on it and re-reading it, I still
don't get it. Would you please expand on this? (For starters, did
Cantor include the assumption that the list had all reals?)

> Your statement reflects Hilbert's formalism.

My inclinations are much more formalist than Platonist.

--
Michael F. Stemper
I feel more like I do now than I did when I came in.

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
fom
[...]
[...]