Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

Am Freitag, 6. Dezember 2013 18:59:16 UTC+1 schrieb Zeit Geist:

> > So your "logic" says.
>

> So it does.
>

> > 1) There are all real numbers. All are accessible (can be taken).
>
> > 2) It is impossible to distinguish a real number d by its digits from all other real numbers. (Proof by the fact that every FIS(d_n) = d_1, ..., d_n is shared by uncountably many real numbers.)
>
> > 3) But for every other real number there is a digit d_n where this number differs from d.
>
> > 4) This is enough to know that d differes by its digits from all other real numbers. Therefore:
>
> > 5) It is possible to distinguish a real number d by its digits from all other real numbers.
>

> > Pay attention in particular to (2) and (5).
>

> Your "Proof" of 2 is Not Valid.

Let d differ from r, then there is a first digit where both differ. Let d differ from p, q, r, then there is a first digit where d differs from all three. Let d differ from all rationals, then there is a first digít where d differs from all rationals.

You say for every rational q, there is a digit, where q differs from d. You intentionally forget: For every rational q which is followed by infinitely many other rationals, there is a first digit, where q differs from d.

It is obvious, in the light of logic, that your "proof" does not hold. Your assertion that you and your ilk consider this argument sufficient only shows that you have perverted logic.

I can assure you that no sober mind with enough intelligence will follow you into that nonsense. Times are ripe to recall Cantor: you do well, in my opinion, to be very sceptical against mathematical authorities in all mathematical-philosophical questions, in memory of Pascal's true saying: "Il est rare, que les géomètres soient fins, et que les fins soient géomètres." {{It is rare that mathematicians are sharp-witted and that the sharp-witted are mathematicians.}}

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
[...]
[...]