Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

Virgil

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

In article <165cc8f7-3278-4529-b91f-250866d57a37@googlegroups.com>,
WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> wrote:

> Am Freitag, 6. Dezember 2013 02:42:30 UTC+1 schrieb Virgil:
>

> > Then the set of real remains uncountable.
> >

> Every infinite set remains uncountable. At least as long as mathematical
> proofs are concerned.

What is WM's distinction between "countable" and of "uncountable"?

Outside of WMytheology, the definition says:

A set is countable if and only if there is a surjective mapping from the
set of naturals, |N, to that set, and otherwise is uncountable.

Outside of WMytheology, that makes the set of rationals countable and
the set of reals uncountable.

Inside WMytheology there could even be susets of |N which are
uncountable as far as we know, because WM will never say what his
definition of countability requires.
--

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
[...]
[...]