Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

Virgil

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

In article <17d690da-fce7-4081-b8c1-6a9d002dda22@googlegroups.com>,
WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> wrote:

> So your "logic" says.
>
> 1) There are all real numbers. All are accessible (can be taken).
> 2) It is impossible to distinguish a real number d by its digits from all
> other real numbers. (Proof by the fact that every FIS(d_n) = d_1, ..., d_n is
> shared by uncountably many real numbers.)

As a proof, it stinks. One can, for example, distinguish the real number
0 from all other real numbers by its digits. A real number is not 0 if
and only if it has a non-zero digit in its decimal ( or binary, or any
other base) expansion.

That one exception to WM's claimed rule proves that his argument is
false and his rule false.

> Can you please prove that you can "take" all r e Q?

Which members of Q does WM wish to claim one cannot take?

> This includes to be able
> to take all n e N. In my opinion nobody has ever proven that but everybody
> has been restricted to the case of very few numbers.

If one cites a general rule about natuals having no exceptions,
WM is now claiming that there still must be exceptions.

If I state that every natural number has a unique successor natural
number, WM must now prove that that does NOT hold for all of |N.

> Otherwise I must say: You are cheating.

WM should be a better judge of cheating than that since he is the
foremost practitioner of it here.
--

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
[...]
[...]