Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

Virgil

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

In article <ee4620e8-55dc-4c9b-9750-835784a01cfb@googlegroups.com>,
WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> wrote:

> Am Freitag, 6. Dezember 2013 18:59:16 UTC+1 schrieb Zeit Geist:

> > > So your "logic" says.
> >

> > So it does.
> >

> > > 1) There are all real numbers. All are accessible (can be taken).
> >
> > > 2) It is impossible to distinguish a real number d by its digits from all
> > > other real numbers. (Proof by the fact that every FIS(d_n) = d_1, ...,
> > > d_n is shared by uncountably many real numbers.)

> > > 3) But for every other real number there is a digit d_n where this number
> > > differs from d.

> > > 4) This is enough to know that d differes by its digits from all other
> > > real numbers. Therefore:

> > > 5) It is possible to distinguish a real number d by its digits from all
> > > other real numbers.

> > > Pay attention in particular to (2) and (5).
> >

> > Your "Proof" of 2 is Not Valid.

> Let d differ from r, then there is a first digit where both differ. Let d
> differ from p, q, r, then there is a first digit where d differs from all
> three. Let d differ from all rationals, then there is a first digít where d
> differs from all rationals.

Another example of WM's many phoney "proofs",
which on examination rapidly fall apart.

Let d first differ from r1 at digit 1
let d first differ from r2 at digit 2
let d first differ from r3 at digit 3
let d first differ from r_n at digit n

and so on.

Then, while for every n in |N,
d DOES differ from n rationals by line n,

and ultimately differs from all listed rationals
just as in WM's argument,
there is no n in |N by which it is REQUIRED to differ from all rationals.

While it may, it need not.

Thus DISPROVING WM's phoney claim above.

> It is obvious, in the light of logic, that your "proof" does not hold. Your
> assertion that you and your ilk consider this argument sufficient only shows
> that you have perverted logic.

Actually it is WM's "proof" that, as usual, has been shown not to hold.
See counter-proof above!
--

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
[...]
[...]