Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

Am Freitag, 6. Dezember 2013 23:56:10 UTC+1 schrieb Virgil:

> > Let d differ from r, then there is a first digit where both differ. Let d
>
> > differ from p, q, r, then there is a first digit where d differs from all
>
> > three. Let d differ from all rationals, then there is a first digit where d
>
> > differs from all rationals.
>

> Let d first differ from r1 at digit 1
>
> let d first differ from r2 at digit 2
>
> let d first differ from r3 at digit 3

Then it differs at digit 3 from all three rationals.

> let d first differ from r_n at digit n
>

> and so on.

"and so on" means: there are always infinitely many rationals that do not differ.

> Then, while for every n in |N,
>
> d DOES differ from n rationals by line n,

there remain infinitely many rationals from which it does not differ.

> and ultimately differs from all listed rationals

Then either you can index the "ultimate" digit d_u or you cannot. In the latter case you either have to assume a digit without natural index u, namely index d_oo, which is out of mathematics, or you have to confess that the ultimate case does never appear. That is tantamount that d does never differ from all rationals.

> Actually it is WM's "proof" that, as usual, has been shown not to hold.
>
> See counter-proof above!

You have a strange use of language: ultimate = never.

But it is ridiculous to claim that your "never" differs from my "never", only because you call it ultimate.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
[...]
[...]