Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

fom

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

On 12/7/2013 6:33 AM, WM wrote:
> Am Samstag, 7. Dezember 2013 03:21:49 UTC+1 schrieb fom:

>>> No. He said: Ist E1, E2, ..., E?, ... irgendeine einfach unendliche Reihe von Elementen der Mannigfaltigkeit M
>>
>>> Let ... be any infinite sequence of elements ...
>>

>> You are correct with regard to the 1874 paper.

> The above quote is from the 1891-paper. But the other one is nearly identical:
> Wenn eine nach irgendeinem Gesetze gegebene unendliche Reihe voneinander verschiedener reeller Zahlgrößen

>> Ewald has his earlier statements to Dedekind
>>
>> of 1873 phrased differently.
>>

> There Cantor asked Dedekind whether a complete sequence of reals could be possible.
>
> On 7 Dec. 1873, exactly 140 years ago, Cantor wrote to Dedekind:
> Man nehme an, es könnten alle positiven Zahlen ? < 1 in die Reihe gebracht werden :
>
> Here he said: assume that all positive reals < 1 could be in a sequence.
>
> Regards, WM

Oh yes. I was tired and had been reading
too quickly.

Thank you for the correction.

But, it is relevant that he does not speak
of "by a rule" here. He is speaking of "all"
with respect to an open interval.

The extension to "all reals" would depend on
bijections to which you object for other
reasons.

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
[...]
[...]