Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

albrecht

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

On Saturday, December 7, 2013 4:28:39 PM UTC+1, fom wrote:
> On 12/7/2013 4:58 AM, Albrecht wrote:
>

> > On Saturday, December 7, 2013 12:00:51 AM UTC+1, Virgil wrote:

> >> The point is that anyone who claims that the reals ARE countable is
>

> >> automaticaly claming that there must exist a COMPLETE listing of all of
>

> >> them, as that is equivalent to the reals being countable.
>

> >> Cantor has merely show that a list of reals can never be complete, which
>

> >> is equivalent to saying that the set of reals is uncountable.
>

> >> --
>

> > And every healthy man or woman knows that nothing which is infinite can be completed since infinity is nothing more or less than ceaselessness, say, by definition, can't be completed.
>

> And every healthy man or woman who does not
>
> suffer your particular sense of discontent
>
> would admit that there is a difference between
>
> the apparent infinite divisibility of space
>
> with respect to convergence and the infinite
>
> expanse of space with respect to unboundedness.
>

> When faced with the fact that infinity is
>
> presented through distinct forms in the empirical
>
> experience of their sensible existence and when
>
> confronted with the reality that numbers are mere
>
> notions which have no such concrete presentation,
>
> your precious arithmetically-expressed toy soldiers
>
> would easily be seen to be marching nowhere.
>

> No infinity has ever really appreciated bean counters.
>
> And bean counters see only beans.

I can't see any argument in your sermon. Do you claim that limits are completed infinites? What a nonsense. You don't understand the principle of convergent sequences or series?

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
fom
[...]
[...]