Replies: 110   Last Post: Dec 10, 2013 4:33 AM

ross.finlayson@gmail.com

Re: Uncountability of the Real Numbers Without Decimals

On Saturday, December 7, 2013 10:04:31 AM UTC-8, fom wrote:
> [...]

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reverse_mathematics#The_big_five_subsystems_of_second_order_arithmetic
>

> I know which form of the axiom of choice supports the
>
> way in which I introduce identity into the system of
>
> logic I use,
>

> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/sci.math/RDp-0ahTBds/OF8Fsp3VG8sJ
>

> I know which organizing principles permit one to formulate
>
> a non-paradoxical model consistent with the finitary asymptotic
>
> properties of the weak weak Koenig lemma,
>

> https://groups.google.com/forum/#!original/sci.logic/CoO4TT7i_1g/vW5n9eB4LUoJ
>

> I know how to explain the construction of the real numbers
>
> in relation to the undefinability of truth and seemingly
>
> circular mathematical methods
>

> http://math.stackexchange.com/questions/533133/a-vector-space-is-a-set-axiom-or-derivation
>

> I know that Frege turned to geometry when he rejected
>
> logicism and that Russell interpreted projective
>
> geometry as a meaningful notion reflecting Kant's
>
> sensible externality,
>

> > "The more I have thought the matter
>
> > over, the more convinced I have become
>
> > that arithmetic and geometry have
>
> > developed on the same basis -- a
>
> > geometrical one in fact -- so that
>
> > mathematics in its entirety is
>
> > really geometry"
>

> > Frege
>

> > "..., I shall deal first with projective
>
> > geometry. This, I shall maintain, is
>
> > necessarily true of any form of
>
> > externality, and is, since some such
>
> > form is necessary to experience,
>
> > completely a priori."
>

> > "We can distinguish different parts
>
> > of space, but all parts are qualitatively
>
> > similar, and are distinguished only
>
> > by the immediate fact that they
>
> > lie outside one another"
>

> > "Analysis, being unable to find
>
> > any earlier halting-place, finds
>
> > its elements in points, that is,
>
> > in zero quanta of space"
>

> > "A point must be spatial, otherwise
>
> > it would not fulfill the function
>
> > of a spatial element; but again,
>
> > it must contain no space, for any
>
> > finite extension is capable of
>
> > further analysis. Points can
>
> > never be given in intuition,
>
> > which has no concern for the
>
> > infinitesimal."
>

> > Russell
>

> I know that my primitive relation, as a
>
> strict transitive relation, is interpretable
>
> as the mereological proper part relation. Hence,
>
> my interpretation does not start with a consideration
>
> of parts, but with a consideration of identity in
>
> relation to mereological parts,
>

> http://mathoverflow.net/questions/58495/why-hasnt-mereology-suceeded-as-an-alternative-to-set-theory/127222#127222
>

> And, I know that my formal construction begins
>
> with a specification of logical constants
>
> as a projective geometry,
>

> http://mathforum.org/kb/plaintext.jspa?messageID=7933591
>

> I also know that people do not think that I
>
> do mathematics.
>

> But, I cannot control what other people think.

"Which large cardinal axioms are most likely to be related to the structure of partition lattices on infinite sets?"

Would that not be those that complete the Borel hierarchy? Rather, it would be those.

"If I have interpreted them correctly, then any given model presumed to be consistent has pointwise definable elements."

Even countable models as they are constructible may be rather rich as defining them "point-wise".

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
William Elliot
Tucsondrew@me.com