The Math Forum

Replies: 110   Last Post: Dec 10, 2013 4:33 AM

Virgil

Re: Uncountability of the Real Numbers Without Decimals

In article <36a8452f-fcaa-455a-aefa-79919761fdbd@googlegroups.com>,
WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, 5. Dezember 2013 19:36:16 UTC+1 schrieb Michael F. Stemper:
>

> > > And the Set of All Definitions, when properly And Logically implemented,
> > > cannot be put into Bijection with N.

> > It can't? Why not? A definition must be a finite string. As far as
> >
> > I can tell, the set of all finite strings is countable, and may be
> >
> > bijected with N. Since the set of definitions is a subset of the set
> >
> > of finite strings, it must be bijectable with N or a subset of N.
> >

> The official trick is this: Since definition cannot be defined, it is not
> clear which finite words are definitions. So there is no list. But it is
> clearly sufficient to estimate that the set is not empty, since there are
> defined numbers, and that it cannot have cardinality larger aleph_0.

There are definitions of things other than definition that do exist,
including a definition of "countable" and there are valid proofs that
some sets do not qualify as being countable by such a definition.

One such widely accepted definition of a set, A, have a cardinality no
larger than aleph_0, or, equivalently, being "countable" requires that
one be able to show the existence of a surjection from |N to set S
before claiming it to have a cardinality no larger than aleph_0, or,
equivalently, being "countable".

Thus by claiming that no set can have a cardinality greater than
aleph_0, WM is also claiming that for every set he can PROVE the
existence of a surjection from |N to that set.

Let WM start by proving such a surjection from |N to the set of reals!
--

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de