The Math Forum

Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

Virgil

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

In article <450f2aa5-5887-4365-8eb6-9db244128654@googlegroups.com>,
WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> wrote:
> Am Sonntag, 8. Dezember 2013 03:30:55 UTC+1 schrieb Virgil:

> > But WM has just argued that every limit of a sequence of rational
> > numbers must be a rational number,

> You are a liar or too stupid to understand written text.

If I were eally a liar, WM would have left in the argument I was
commenting on.

The fact that WM has so carefully clipped it out supports my position.

> > Each of s_n = sum_(k = 0..n) 1/k! is rational,
> > but s_oo = e , which is not.

> It is the limit which cannot be expressed by a string of digits because all
> digits belong to rationals and d_oo is not in mathematics.

Is WM claiming that the Euler number, "e", is not in mathematics"?

One wonders if WM allows any other irrational numbers, like pi and
sqrt(2), into his mathematics, or restricts his mathematics strictly to
the rationals.

> > So sum_(k = 0..oo) 1/10^n! is rational?
> No.
> > > I do not reject AoT
> > But you do reject the AoI, which was the point at issue.
> I reject the incorrect interpretation as finished infinity.

All of WM's many attempts to justify that claim have failed miserably,
and, no doubt, his future ones attempts will fail equally badly.

> > Some of us merely reject your "potentia"l as undefineable nonsense.

> They must be stupid or illiterate.

Rather than considering the many stupid or illiterate, it is easier and
more logical to consider the one in opposition to be stupid or
illiterate.

If WM were really right, he would not had to hide his views in all
parts of his textbook except its preface.
--

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
[...]
Michael F. Stemper
[...]