Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

Am Montag, 9. Dezember 2013 18:59:11 UTC+1 schrieb wpih...@gmail.com:
> To understand where WM is coming from one must note
>
> that for WM the statement
>

> for all n in N, p(n) is not true
>

> does not imply
>

> there is no n in N such that p(n) is true,
>

> but only that
>

> one cannot find an n in N such that p(n) is true.
>

> So for WM:
>

> If L is a constructable list of constructable 0/1 lists
>
> then there is a constructable 0/1 list, y, such that one cannot
>
> find a n in N with y the nth element of L.
>

> Most people would then argue, if n existed then we could find it,
>
> so the fact that we cannot find it means that n does not exist.
>

> WM does not agree with the last step.

And I can tell you why:

For every rational p/q we can find a digit where it differs from the antidiagonal d.
But what means "every rational"? p/q belongs to a finite set of rationals with a sum = <(p+q). p/q has finitely many predecessors but is followed by infinitely many rationals p'/q' with p'+ q' being finite but larger than p + q.

Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
[...]
[...]