Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

William Hughes

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

On Monday, December 9, 2013 2:51:09 PM UTC-4, WM wrote:
> Am Montag, 9. Dezember 2013 18:59:11 UTC+1 schrieb wpih...@gmail.com:
>

> > To understand where WM is coming from one must note
>

> > that for WM the statement
>

> > for all n in N, p(n) is not true
>

> > does not imply
>

> > there is no n in N such that p(n) is true,
>

> > but only that
>

> > one cannot find an n in N such that p(n) is true.
>

> > So for WM:
>

> > If L is a constructable list of constructable 0/1 lists
>

> > then there is a constructable 0/1 list, y, such that one cannot
>

> > find a n in N with y the nth element of L.

Note that this is sufficient to show there is no constructable list L, for
which for any constructable 0/1 list y, y is in L. (Proof is by contradiction,
assume L exists, then from y is in L we conclude that we can find an
n in N such that y is the nth element of L. Contradiction. Thus L does not
exist)

William Hughes

> > Most people would then argue, if n existed then we could find it,
>

> > so the fact that we cannot find it means that n does not exist.
>

> > WM does not agree with the last step.
>

> And I can tell you why:
>

> For every rational p/q we can find a digit where it differs from the antidiagonal d.
>
> But what means "every rational"? p/q belongs to a finite set of rationals with a sum = <(p+q). p/q has finitely many predecessors but is followed by infinitely many rationals p'/q' with p'+ q' being finite but larger than p + q.
>

> Regards, WM

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
[...]