Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

Virgil

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

In article <eb364469-55fb-45d8-b1bd-d0d4f5ee3ae4@googlegroups.com>,
WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> wrote:
> Am Montag, 9. Dezember 2013 18:59:11 UTC+1 schrieb wpih...@gmail.com:
> > To understand where WM is coming from one must note
> > that for WM the statement
> > for all n in N, p(n) is not true
> > does not imply
> > there is no n in N such that p(n) is true,
> > but only that
> > one cannot find an n in N such that p(n) is true.
> > So for WM:
> > If L is a constructable list of constructable 0/1 lists
> > then there is a constructable 0/1 list, y, such that one cannot
> > find a n in N with y the nth element of L.
> > Most people would then argue, if n existed then we could find it,
> > so the fact that we cannot find it means that n does not exist.
> > WM does not agree with the last step.

> And I can tell you why:
> For every rational p/q we can find a digit where it differs from the
> antidiagonal d.
> But what means "every rational"?

In English, it means there are absolutely no rationals for which the
statement following is not true. What it means in WM-ese is irrelevant.

> p/q belongs to a finite set of rationals
> with a sum = <(p+q). p/q has finitely many predecessors but is followed by
> infinitely many rationals p'/q' with p'+ q' being finite but larger than p +
> q.

What does it mean for p/q to belong to a "finite" set of rationals with
sum <= p+ q? What finite set?

OUTSIDE of WM's wild weird world of WMytheology,
for any given rational p/q there are infinitely many others, p'/q',
with p' + q' <= p + q.
--

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
[...]
[...]