Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

William Hughes

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

On Monday, December 9, 2013 4:24:26 PM UTC-4, Zeit Geist wrote:
> On Monday, December 9, 2013 10:59:11 AM UTC-7, wpih...@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > To understand where WM is coming from one must note
>

> > that for WM the statement
>

> > for all n in N, p(n) is not true
>

> > does not imply
>

> > there is no n in N such that p(n) is true,
>

> > but only that
>

> > one cannot find an n in N such that p(n) is true.
>

> Yes, but he refuses to describe the meaning of "one cannot find". He uses the word "taken", which also has an unclear meaning.
>

> His argument against the Infinite rests on Philosophicial grounds.
>
> However, he insists that assuming the Existence of an Infinite Set leads to a Logical Contradiction.
>
> But, when showing this purported Contradiction, he slips in an Implict Assumption of Anti-Infinity.
>
> Then, a Contradiction results. Wow! I imagine that.
>

> > So for WM:
>

> > If L is a constructable list of constructable 0/1 lists
>
> > then there is a constructable 0/1 list, y, such that one cannot
>
> > find a n in N with y the nth element of L.
>

> So, y could "really" be on L, but we can't "find" it's n?
>
> Let me know if I interpreted this right?

Yes, (however, as I note, only WM seems to believe that
this is possible).

> However, WM actually claims the we can't find All digits of y,
>and hence y can Not be shown Unequal to All members on the L.

Careful, y here is a finite algorithm, not an infinite
string of digits. It is possible to show by induction that y
is not equal to the nth member of L (also a finite algorithm)
for any n in N. WM agrees to this point. However, WM does not
think that this means there is no n in N such that y is the nth
member of L. WM takes Red Queen lessons.

William Hughes

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de
[...]