The Math Forum

Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

Virgil

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

Am Montag, 9. Dezember 2013 22:58:08 UTC+1 schrieb wpih...@gmail.com:
> On Monday, December 9, 2013 4:42:49 PM UTC-4, WM wrote:

> > Am Montag, 9. Dezember 2013 20:13:31 UTC+1 schrieb wpih...@gmail.com:

> > > Note that this is sufficient to show there is no constructable list L,

> > Cantor's enumeration of the rationals is a construction.

> True but completely irrelevant. Cantor's enumeration of the rationals

> doe not contain all constructable numbers.

True but completely irrelevant. It is his list such that d cannot be
distinguished from many numbers by its digits.

> It is long since time that you

> should agree there is no constructable list of constructable

> numbers.

I know that. But that is irrelevant for my proof. I need only the list
of all rational numbers. That is constructable.

Regards, WMIn article
<76f1e93e-fdf5-4829-815f-3504a14ff31b@googlegroups.com>,
WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> wrote:

> Am Montag, 9. Dezember 2013 22:58:08 UTC+1 schrieb wpih...@gmail.com:

> > > Cantor's enumeration of the rationals is a construction.

> > True but completely irrelevant. Cantor's enumeration of the rationals
> > does not contain all constructable numbers.

Since some constructable numbers are irrational, one would hope not!

> True but completely irrelevant. It is his list such that d cannot be
> distinguished from many numbers by its digits.

Since every number in the list, being rational, has an eventually
periodic decimal (or other base) expansion, and every irrational number,
has a non-periodic expansion, sothere must be infinitely many places
at which it differs from any rational.

> > It is long since time that you
> > should agree there is no constructable list of constructable
> > numbers.

> I know that. But that is irrelevant for my proof. I need only the list of all
> rational numbers. That is constructable.

And any antidiagonal of such a list will not be rational, thus not in
it.
--

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
[...]
[...]