Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

Virgil

Re: Matheology 400: WM's Quantifier Confusion

In article <9b81b6f9-9f55-4559-9179-95ead66d0b88@googlegroups.com>,
WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 10. Dezember 2013 14:01:30 UTC+1 schrieb wpih...@gmail.com:
>

> > Then you know that for a constructivist there is no list of
> > all real numbers.

For a constuctivist there is also no complete list of all rational
numbers.

> Here we need a list of all rational numbers only.

Which, other than for constructivists is easy enough.

< This list can be
> diagonalized. The first few digits of the antidiagonal cannot prove that the
> antidiagonal differs from all rational numbers of the list.

But a general rule, applied equally to all digit positions, can.

> Nobody has ever
> seen the following infintely many rationals. We can only prove mathematically
> that they are there

So far so good.

> and infinitey many of them are identical with the
> antidiagonal for all digits

Actually none of them are identical with CANTOR's antidiagonal for ALL
digits. HIS antidiagonal differs from each of them in at least one
digit, and in such a way as to guarantee its value is different from
that of that rational.

> such that it is impossible to distinguish the
> antidiagonal from all of them.

I do not know how WM is constructing HIS antidiagonals, but as Cantor
(or one of his students) constructed them, they necessarily differed
from each number in the list from which they were constructed.
And still do.
--

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
[...]
[...]