Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

Virgil

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

In article <69f108ae-bfc5-4ac4-aa41-23c2a0c9ff21@googlegroups.com>,
WM <wolfgang.mueckenheim@hs-augsburg.de> wrote:

> Am Dienstag, 10. Dezember 2013 18:53:06 UTC+1 schrieb Zeit Geist:
> > On Tuesday, December 10, 2013 4:52:18 AM UTC-7, WM wrote:

> > >For every finite or infinite sequence of digits of d there is a rational
> > >number including it.

WM is WRONG, AGAIN, AS USUAL!!!

For every finite sequence, but NOT for every infinite sequence.

The decimal (or binary or any other base for that matter) sequence which
is 0 for non-prime fractional digit positions and 1 for the prime
fractional digit positions has no"rational number including it".

> > > That can and has been proven.

> > Where has that been proven?

> Proof: Take any digit. For every n: There are infinitely many digits
> following upon d_n, such that there are infinitely many rational numbers
> identical with d_1, ..., d_n. Since this holds for *all* infinitely many
> natural indices, there is no chance to identify 1/n! by any sequence of only
> finitely indexed digits.

Are those "d_1, d_2,...,d_n" suposed to be single digits or digit
sequnences for rational numbers? They seem to change meaning back and
forth.

And for any natural n, 1/n! will have a repeating decimal expansion
thus can be entirely determined by finitely many digits.

> > What rational number q has the property that: q includes sqrt(2).
> > This has been proven False for All rational numbers.

> q is not sqrt(2), but every digit that can be calculated by a sequence with
> limit sqrt(2) belongs to a rational approximation.

And every digit used is in {0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9}. So what?

> > > But it leads to the correct result: It is impossible to distinguish d by
> > > its digits from all entries of arationals-complete list.

It is quite possible to do it by a finitely expressed rule, like was
done in the Cantor argument, ans such a finitely expressed rule
completes a valid proof.

> > You haven't even defined what this means.

> To define what it means that two numbers differ by digits???
> Sorry, if you don't know then we should stop here.

One may have some idea of what it would mean from someone not tied up in
WM's wild weird world of WMytheology, but since WM has a habit of using
standard terms in non-standard ways without making clear what his
non-standard meanings are, we do not take any of his phraseologies for
granted without explicit explanations.

> > I have argued that a Finite Formula does what is required, but you just
> > disagree and don't give any support for you argument other than "but
> > infinitely many follow". This is Not Sufficient to prove your claim.

> A finite formula does what is required. SUM 1/n! is uniquely defined. Every
> approximation can be calculated, that means every digit can be calculated.
> Formula ==> digits. But from the digits which all are rational numbers the
> formula cannot be obtained.

From seeing enough of those digits someone only a little smarter that WM
might well deduce a valid finite formula. And any valid finite formula
will do.
--

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
[...]
[...]