The Math Forum

Replies: 188   Last Post: Dec 13, 2013 5:48 AM

Tucsondrew@me.com

Re: Matheology 400: Quantifier Confusion

On Wednesday, December 11, 2013 11:35:55 AM UTC-7, WM wrote:

> > > And it does not refute my claim.
>
> > And your claim refutes nothing we have said.
>
> Fine for you. My claim says that by digits it is impossible to prove that d differs from all rational. That means up to every finite digit there are infinitely many rationals identical with d up to that digit.

No, you use "up to every finite digit there are infinitely many rationals identical with d up to that digit." To show "by digits it is impossible to prove that d differs from all rational.".

This Does Not Follow.

> And if you acknowledge that d is nothing more than its digits, then there are infinitely many rational identical with d.

But it is more. It is a certain arrangement of digits.

> And if you mention that d is more than its digits at finite places then you either need a digit at infinite place or a finite word defining some "structure".

The structure is explicitly defined in the Axioms ( Properties) of the Real Numbers.

> > And all even numbers are divisible by 2. However this, as well as you above stament, have nothing to do with result of the Diagonalization Method.
>
> No this method, unles the result is defined by a finite word, does not accomplish what you thought or even think yet.

Meaningless and Garbled.

> > > You are wise. Why not apply that wisdom. The structure cannot be accounted for by digits. For that sake you need a finite word in the language that you wish to use. How many finite words are there in your language?
>
> > An Amount that can Not be put into a 1:1 correspondence with the Natural Numbers,
>
> Because it is too large or too less?

Because, as others have said here, if you insist on Constructible Numbers, Functions and "Words" ( the Correspondence above is a Function ) only, There Is No 1:1 Function between the Set of "Words" and the Set of Natural Numbers.

> > And I don't need Digits, for they are simply Representations, and these Representations are Not Necessarily Faithful.
>
> But you would need digits or something else like that in order to "realize" uncountably many words.

Which has nothing to do with "distinguishing by digits".
Also, I don't need Digits to show the Uncountability of the Set of All Real Numbers.

> Regards, WM

ZG

Date Subject Author
Tucsondrew@me.com
[...]
[...]