Topic: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Replies: 59   Last Post: Dec 19, 2013 12:56 AM

fom

Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle

On 12/11/2013 3:04 PM, quasi wrote:
> fom wrote:
>> quasi wrote:

>>> Yes, it's the same question.
>>>
>>> I just chose to state the question using radius 1 and rational
>>> edge lengths.

>> If you state the question so that both the radius and the side
>> are even natural numbers, would this not reduce to a question
>> concerning Pythagorean triples?

> At some level, surely.
>
> But not in any immediate way.
>
> To attack the problem, rescaling so that all rational lengths
> are integers is a fine first step, but no instantly apparent
> integral right triangles arise directly from such a rescaling.
>
> quasi

Well, I had been thinking more in terms of constraints
on possible solutions.

"in order that given a natural number n there
exist a pythagorean triangle with hypotenuse n,
it is necessary and sufficient that the number
n have at least one prime factor of the form
4k + 1"

This is one of the remarks from Sierpinski.

It narrows the search a small bit.

But, you are correct that no instantly apparent
solution would present itself from what I have
about these triples. The statement above would
be about the only generally applicable statement
that pops up.

Date Subject Author
12/10/13
Read rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/10/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/10/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/11/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/11/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/11/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/12/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/12/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Helmut Richter
12/12/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/11/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
scattered
12/11/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/11/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
fom
12/11/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
fom
12/11/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/11/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
fom
12/11/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Richard Tobin
12/11/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Richard Tobin
12/12/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/12/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Richard Tobin
12/12/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Richard Tobin
12/12/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/12/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Brian Q. Hutchings
12/13/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/13/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Brian Q. Hutchings
12/12/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Thomas Nordhaus
12/12/13
[...]
12/14/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/14/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/14/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/14/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/14/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Richard Tobin
12/15/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/15/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/15/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Richard Tobin
12/15/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
David Bernier
12/15/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/18/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Richard Tobin
12/18/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/19/13