Topic: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Replies: 59   Last Post: Dec 19, 2013 12:56 AM

quasi

Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle

quasi wrote:

>A revised definition ...
>
>Call an n-gon "rational" if all edge lengths are rational.
>
>Call an n-gon "rational-unit-cyclic" if it's rational and
>can be inscribed in a unit circle.
>
>Call an n-gon "primitive-rational-unit-cyclic" (PRUC) if it's
>rational-unit-cyclic and, for any reordering of the edges, no
>diagonal has rational length.
>
>Note: In my previously posted tentative definition, there were
>additional requirements, namely: n > 3, pairwise distinct edge
>lengths, and no edge length equal to 2. Those additional
>requirements have now been dropped.
>
>Any rational-unit-cyclic triangle is PRUC, and the class of all
>such triangles can be represented parametrically.
>
>There exist PRUC quadrilaterals. For example, the quadrilateral
>found by Richard Tobin with sides 8,36,57,62 and radius 32 is
>a PRUC quadrilateral scaled by a factor of 32.
>
>There are other PRUC quadrilaterals as well, but there's no
>clear pattern that I can see relating the numerical values of
>the edge lengths. It's not clear how to generate them except by
>brute force search.
>
>So that's the question.
>
>For some n > 3, either general or specific, is there some
>subclass of the class of PRUC n-gons which can be generated
>by a method other than brute force search? Perhaps a parametric
>representation or a recursion?
>
>In the meantime, the current search methods might help by
>revealing a pattern for some subclass of PRUC n-gons.

I haven't yet found a PRUC pentagon.

I have my search program running, but so far, nothing.

quasi

Date Subject Author
12/10/13
Read rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/10/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/10/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/11/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/11/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/11/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/12/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/12/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Helmut Richter
12/12/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/11/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
scattered
12/11/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/11/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
fom
12/11/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
fom
12/11/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/11/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
fom
12/11/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Richard Tobin
12/11/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Richard Tobin
12/12/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/12/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Richard Tobin
12/12/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Richard Tobin
12/12/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/12/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Brian Q. Hutchings
12/13/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/13/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Brian Q. Hutchings
12/12/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Thomas Nordhaus
12/12/13
[...]
12/14/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/14/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/14/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/14/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/14/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Richard Tobin
12/15/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/15/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/15/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Richard Tobin
12/15/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
David Bernier
12/15/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
quasi
12/18/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
Richard Tobin
12/18/13
Read Re: rational n-gon inscribed in a unit circle
ross.finlayson@gmail.com
12/19/13