The Math Forum

Topic: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Replies: 23   Last Post: Dec 25, 2013 4:56 PM

Pfsszxt@aol.com

Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?

On 12/15/2013 10:59 AM, Port563 wrote:
> I participated in sci.math a long time ago. Now, I am older and rustier,
> and my rust has rust.
>
> When I was last by this way, Prof. Lounesto had passed (in 2002), alas.
>
> And James Harris (of FLT infamy) was still busy polluting the group all too
> regularly.
>
> Only a few familiar names now - I note that the patient and tireless Arturo
> Magidin is still here. What happened to JSH, Arturo?
>
> Did JSH apologize or retract, or just fade away?

I'm not Arturo but I'll respond also--- he just faded away.
Tried for a while as I recall, under different names.
But, we do have a similar, though less offensive, one
in "Archimides Plutonium" (or whatever his moniker is)

> I recall some trollster suggesting that JSH was an alter-ego of yours.
> With all due respect to you, no one - I mean, no one - is intelligent
> enough (and depraved enough) to create a facsimile JSH.
>
> For newcomers who know not of what I speak -
> http://cs.hamilton.edu/~rdecker/FLT/
> presents a highly sanitised view of one of JSH's less-appalling misses.
>

> "Why do you take so much trouble to expose such a reasoner as
> Mr. Smith? I answer as a deceased friend of mine used to answer
> on like occasions - A man's capacity is no measure of his power
> to do mischief. Mr. Smith has untiring energy, which does
> something; self-evident honesty of conviction, which does more;
> and a long purse, which does most of all. He has made at least
> ten publications, full of figures few readers can critize. A great
> many people are staggered to this extend, that they imagine there
> must be the indefinite "something" in the mysterious "all this".
> They are brought to the point of suspicion that the mathematicians
> ought not to treat "all this" with such undisguised contempt,
> at least." - "A Budget of Paradoxes", Vol 2 p129, Augustus de Morgan

Date Subject Author
12/15/13
Read Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Pfsszxt@aol.com
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
RedAcer
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Peter Percival
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Jens Stuckelberger
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/17/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Rick Decker
12/17/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/20/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Rotwang
12/20/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/24/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
David Bernier
12/24/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
fom
12/24/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/24/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
fom
12/24/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/25/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/25/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Virgil