Topic: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Replies: 76   Last Post: Dec 28, 2013 7:39 PM

Virgil

Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences

In article <2e45292e-eb9b-4b3d-a4f0-8e2e12c3b6ad@googlegroups.com>,
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de wrote:

> But I wanted to draw your attention to the fact that an infinite sequence, in
> set theory, has aleph_0 elements

Really? How unexpected!

> No. They allow to calculate these sequences. I agree that the formulas are
> same as the limits, if those exist.

Formulas for sequences may be shown to HAVE limits, but they are not the
same as those limits, any more than {0.1, 0.11, 0.111, ... } = 1/9

> That is your personal interpretation. I used another one, in particular with
> respect to actual infinity. But that is a matter of taste. However, if we
> agree upon your interpretation, then, in transfinite set theory, there are
> only countably many elements of any kind.

Non sequitur. if one allows every set to have a power set then there are
sets which are provably not countable.
At least until WM can actually construct a surjection from |N to 2^|N.
--

Date Subject Author
12/20/13
[...]
12/21/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/21/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Virgil
12/21/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
JT
12/21/13
[...]
12/22/13
[...]
Tucsondrew@me.com
12/22/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/22/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Tucsondrew@me.com
12/23/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Ralf Bader
12/22/13
[...]
12/27/13
[...]
12/28/13
[...]
Pfsszxt@aol.com
12/22/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/27/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Neto Henderson Tangent