Topic: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Replies: 76   Last Post: Dec 28, 2013 7:39 PM

Virgil

Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences

In article <782a708e-3828-4724-9de9-b99aba17962f@googlegroups.com>,
jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote:

> Den lördagen den 21:e december 2013 kl. 21:15:47 UTC+1 skrev Virgil:
> > In article <648b5671-ece9-4998-a412-9766ac3c0c8d@googlegroups.com>,
> >
> > jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote:
> >

> > > My very lose understanding of infinity, we can construct an algorithm
> > > that

> > > create an unfinite number terms in a list the simplest would be 1+1+1...,
> > > but

> > > we can not ever complete the list and never find the last member.
> >

> > Since infinite lists by definition do not have last members, not being
> >
> > able to find one is a GOOD thing.
> >
> > --

> Well a list without magnitude of its members adding upto a specific number
> seems unlikely.

The list 1, 2, 3, ... is one of many common lists that do not do so,
and does not seem to me to be all that unlikely.

> For example does a list of infinitly many 5's in a list add up to the same
> number as a list of infinitly many 1's?

Do you have a specific number in mind for either of those to sum to?

> Are you saying they represent the same number or not?

While such constant sequences themselves converge, their sums do not, so
I, for one, do not claim either infinite sum actually has a value.
So I am not saying that either even represents a number at all.
--

Date Subject Author
12/20/13
[...]
12/21/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/21/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Virgil
12/21/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
JT
12/21/13
[...]
12/22/13
[...]
Tucsondrew@me.com
12/22/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/22/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Tucsondrew@me.com
12/23/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Ralf Bader
12/22/13
[...]
12/27/13
[...]
12/28/13
[...]
Pfsszxt@aol.com
12/22/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/27/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Neto Henderson Tangent