Topic: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Replies: 76   Last Post: Dec 28, 2013 7:39 PM

Virgil

Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences

In article <0012ac94-1e5b-4cfe-b066-45a335fa78e9@googlegroups.com>,
jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote:

> Den lördagen den 21:e december 2013 kl. 23:35:43 UTC+1 skrev Virgil:

> > > You can not claim that a list generating nonzero terms to be equal to
> > > zero.

> > > Thus the subtraction will never yield zero not ever after infinitly many

> > > subtraction, whatever that is supposed to be in your fairynumber world.

> > In mathematics, 0.999... represents either an infinite sequence of

> > values or the limit value of such a sequence.

> > In that latter case, the value is 1.

> > So when speaking of "the value of 0.999...", one should be able to

> > deduce that that limit value is what is meant.

> > WM is apparently not able to deduce that.

> > --

> I do not see how he could the calculation you stipulate to become zero after
> infinitly many iterations. Will still yield infinitly many preceding zeros
> +1.

In article <0012ac94-1e5b-4cfe-b066-45a335fa78e9@googlegroups.com>,
jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote:
> Den lördagen den 21:e december 2013 kl. 23:35:43 UTC+1 skrev Virgil:

> > > You can not claim that a list generating nonzero terms to be equal to
> > > zero.
> > > Thus the subtraction will never yield zero not ever after infinitly many
> > > subtraction, whatever that is supposed to be in your fairynumber world.

> > In mathematics, 0.999... represents either an infinite sequence of
> > values or the limit value of such a sequence.
> > In that latter case, the value is 1.
> > So when speaking of "the value of 0.999...", one should be able to
> > deduce that that limit value is what is meant.
> > WM is apparently not able to deduce that.
> > --

> I do not see how he could the calculation you stipulate to become zero after
> infinitly many iterations.

In standard mathematics an infinite sequence converges to a limit value,
L, if and only if every neighborhood of that limit value L (open set containing L)
also contains all but finitely many of the terms of the sequence.
That does not require anything to become zero, even after infinitely

--

Date Subject Author
12/20/13
[...]
12/21/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/21/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Virgil
12/21/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
JT
12/21/13
[...]
12/22/13
[...]
Tucsondrew@me.com
12/22/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/22/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Tucsondrew@me.com
12/23/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Ralf Bader
12/22/13
[...]
12/27/13
[...]
12/28/13
[...]
Pfsszxt@aol.com
12/22/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/27/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Neto Henderson Tangent