Topic: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Replies: 76   Last Post: Dec 28, 2013 7:39 PM

JT

Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences

Den söndagen den 22:e december 2013 kl. 04:35:06 UTC+1 skrev Virgil:
> In article <06ee5efc-91ba-4f0d-8838-3ebfd65dbccc@googlegroups.com>,
>
> jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote:
>

> > You see it is all very simple to be able to claim that 0.999... actually add
>
> > up to 1.
>

> There are two ways of viewing 0.999..., either as a number carried out
>
> to infinitley many decimal places or as the sequence of finitely long
>
> decimals 0.9, 0.99,0.999, ... having the infinitiely long decimal,
>
> 0.999... as its limit.
>

> For either interpetation, the final value differs from 1 by the amount 0.

No there is no instance of iterated .999... following a zero that will add up to 1.

Not even after infinitly many added nines to form an infinite sequense whatever that can be, this is easily seen as the difference after infinitly many added nines still will be infinitly many zeros followed by a 1.

You will approach 1 forever, but you will never get there.
But if we use a bijective base ten a number like 9A, .999A , 9999A, 99999999A all equals 1 however .999... will not in a bijective base.

And since bases really do not affect the numerical quantitative value for a number, this is true for standard base 10 also.
> --

Date Subject Author
12/20/13
Read Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
William Hughes
12/20/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/20/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
William Hughes
12/20/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/20/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
William Hughes
12/20/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/20/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Virgil
12/20/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Virgil
12/21/13
[...]
12/22/13
[...]
Tucsondrew@me.com
12/22/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/22/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Tucsondrew@me.com
12/23/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Ralf Bader
12/22/13
[...]
12/27/13
[...]
12/28/13
[...]
Pfsszxt@aol.com
12/22/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/27/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Neto Henderson Tangent