Topic: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Replies: 76   Last Post: Dec 28, 2013 7:39 PM

Virgil

Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences

In article <983305e2-7830-4b85-8847-009d5fcaeb9c@googlegroups.com>,
jonas.thornvall@gmail.com wrote:

> > > Is a number converging towards a limit, the same as the number equals the
> >
> > > limit.
> >

> > "A number" does not converge to a limit a all. A sequence of numbers or
> >
> > a function can do that but "a number" cannot.
> >
> > --

> I know but 0.999... will approach 1 even if it never actually get there

0.999..., when regarded as a number, is either already equal to 1 or,
according to some, never will be. I regard it, as a number, to equal 1.

It is only if it is regarded as an abbreviation for the fairly obvious
infinite sequence of decimals, 0.9. 0.99, 0.999, ..., each of finite
length that "it" can approach anything.

, that
> was why i was a bit confused. I do not consider 0.999... a number but you do
> if converge is not correct what should be used "approach" i have no idea.

Note that every RATIONAL number which does not have a terminating
(finite) decimal expansion will have a repeating decimal expansion, and
that every real number that has either type of decimal expansion,
terminating or repeating, is a rational, and only irrational real
numbers can ever have decimal expansions which will never become
repeating AND will never terminate.

Since 0.999... is clearly a repeating decimal expansion, it must
represent some rational number. The only possible question is which one.
--

Date Subject Author
12/20/13
[...]
12/21/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/21/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Virgil
12/21/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
JT
12/21/13
[...]
12/22/13
[...]
Tucsondrew@me.com
12/22/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/22/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Tucsondrew@me.com
12/23/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Ralf Bader
12/22/13
[...]
12/27/13
[...]
12/28/13
[...]
Pfsszxt@aol.com
12/22/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/27/13
Read Re: Matheology sqrt(-2): WM admits to unlistability of 0/1 sequences
Neto Henderson Tangent