The Math Forum

Topic: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Replies: 23   Last Post: Dec 25, 2013 4:56 PM

David Bernier

Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?

On 12/20/2013 07:52 PM, Port563 wrote:
> "Rotwang" <sg552@hotmail.co.uk> wrote ...> On 16/12/2013 23:48, Port563
> wrote:

>>> "Jens Stuckelberger" <Jens_Stuckelberger@nowhere.net> wrote in message

>>> Good questions.
>>>
>>> 1. Idle curiosity.
>>>
>>> 2. No. And having now seen him comfortably settled in the blogosphere,
>>> free
>>> from pesky people who kept finding gaping holes in his "proofs" (sic),

>> I still occasionally communicate with JSH via the comments section of his
>> blogs. He seems a lot less angry these days. Quitting usenet was a good
>> decision on his part, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't miss his
>> sci.math presence - none of the current resident cranks is anywhere near
>> as interesting.

> Thanks; I understand and, to a fair extent, agree. Perhaps it is just
> nostalgia, but the current cranks are boring, foolish and uninteresting.
> They fail even as trolls as their only victims are other trolls.
>
> JSH, in his unique malfunctioning, was interesting, and (at least at the
> beginning) his hilarious attempts at FLT were, IMO, quite genuine. How he
> could possibly think that thousands of the world's smartest people would
> have, over many centuries, overlooked his obvious meanderings, I cannot
> imagine - but that was part of the "fun".

I'm only being half-serious here, but it has sometimes appeared to me
that actually interacting in sci.math could lead to some form
of masochistic behaviors, say when people were hell-bent on changing
JSH's view of himself and the world, etc. etc.

dave

Date Subject Author
12/15/13
Read Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Pfsszxt@aol.com
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
RedAcer
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Peter Percival
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
magidin@math.berkeley.edu
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Jens Stuckelberger
12/16/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/17/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Rick Decker
12/17/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/20/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Rotwang
12/20/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/24/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
David Bernier
12/24/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
fom
12/24/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/24/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
fom
12/24/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Port563
12/25/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
mueckenh@rz.fh-augsburg.de
12/25/13
Read Re: Whatever happened to James Harris? Arturo?
Virgil