Topic: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Replies: 88   Last Post: Jan 5, 2014 9:31 PM

Robert Hansen

From: Florida
Registered: 6/22/09
Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
att1.html (3.2 K)

More to the point -

You can be an engineer and apply the principles of physics without deriving their fundamental origins and truth.

You can be a mathematician and apply the principles of mathematics without deriving their fundamental origins and truth.

You can be a musician and apply the principles of music without deriving their fundamental origins and truth.

But can you derive the fundamental origins and truth in any of these fields, yet not apply them?

No. And the result looks silly and fake when one attempts to.

Bob Hansen

On Dec 29, 2013, at 11:50 AM, Robert Hansen <bob@rsccore.com> wrote:

> On Dec 29, 2013, at 2:06 AM, GS Chandy <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

>> Perhaps some deeper understanding of how 'pure' math "LEADS TO" 'applied' math would help.
>
> Pure math doesn?t lead to applied math. Does that help?
>
> As an analogy, Physics doesn?t lead to engineering.
>
> Pure math is the study of math.
>
> Applied math is the application of math.
>
> Still unconvinced? How about this -
>
> Music. Music Theory.
>
> Is music theory even pertinent if you are not musical?
>
> Is math theory even pertinent if you are not mathematical?
>
> I would say ?No? to both.
>
> But quotas are more important here than reality. Many math teachers have studied math but are not even in the least, mathematical. And thus, the absurdities commence.
>
> I don?t expect to change it, like I don?t expect to eradicate crime. But knowing it and avoiding it is very helpful.
>
> Bob Hansen

Date Subject Author
12/24/13
Read Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/27/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
kirby urner
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/5/14
[...]
12/26/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]