Topic: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Replies: 88   Last Post: Jan 5, 2014 9:31 PM

kirby urner

Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
att1.html (4.6 K)

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 7:16 AM, Joe Niederberger
<niederberger@comcast.net>wrote:

> >Yeah, I know. I find approximately no one is as smart as they could be,
> but we live in a culture that expects and rewards dummies. Being smart
> means being lonely at parties.
>
> I think you are confusing being smart with being recondite. Not that you
> are the first to do so. Perhaps that's unwittingly transmitted along with
> our other schooling.
>
> Cheers,
> Joe N

Perhaps by "recondite" you mean "of augmented vocabulary" which anyone
suitably prepped may become, as a result of studying SAT words for example.

My friend Kent in the Philippines (where I went to high school) really
believed people in USA colleges were as abstruse in their speech as the SAT
tests had led him to believe and he began peppering his banter with
superfluous vocab, sometimes humorous malapropisms, in order to "get ready
for college". We made fun of him, but he looked at us with pitying eyes,
knowing he was the Noah in this picture, building his ark of fancy
phrases.

Safe to say when he finally did get to his USA college, he was rather
completely disabused of such notions.

Kent was smart too though. He could win against me in chess just playing
in his head, not looking at any physical board.

Paul Tanner III has argued in this archives for the fixed Bell Curve IQ
picture and has hammered against those who rig public school math to make a
stellar performance impossible to those with only good rote and lesser
reason.

Math that basically just teases those of lower IQ by repeatedly asking them
to jump much higher than they can, to be graded accordingly, did not seem
the product of a democracy to him -- seemed more like poll tests and poll
taxes.

His position was politically divergent from Haim's but I think he might
have accepted the same 6th grade standard as to where the public / tax paid
responsibility should end. As to who would pick up the tab going forward,
for those wishing to continue beyond the 6th grade level, that was up for
debate.

My view is more that intelligence / smarts is a moving target and those
appearing to typify what's needed become stereotypical i.e. role models.

However smarts is often demonized or rendered subversive, as when the
practice of using Al Khwarizmi's algorithms got peasant upstarts learning
computational thinking (including around money) to a level a little more
than was convenient for the local priests in the feudal Dark Ages. The
priests had the job of computing everything for a dependent peasantry and
upstarts were nothing but troublemakers. Use of "cyphers" was banned in
some "zip codes". Fast forward and the merchant class is booming, the
Renaissance a birthing of science and a turning away from authoritarian
codecs.

In other scenarios, those with glasses or foreign language speaking
abilities are actively hunted down and shot by the teenagers (Cambodia's
Pol Pot).

In other words, being "too smart" makes one "dangerous". Example: Irving
Kirsch,Ph.D. is deemed dangerous by some, as he intelligently questions
billion dollar marketing campaigns premised on a certain model of how
anti-depressants achieve their effects. He pokes holes in the logic of
those purveying these myths. Medical students are warned to stay away from
such "satanic verses" (e.g. 'The Emperor's New Drugs: Exploding the
Antidepressant Myth'). Every profession has its subversive verboten side,
where sometimes the "too smart for their own good" people work. Sometimes
in some scenarios they've been thrown in the dungeon. That's a lot of what
I mean when I say approximately 100% moderate their smarts, dumb themselves
down. They do so out of fear, an unconscious reflex in many cases, oft
instilled in the school, maybe in the school yard during recess, when the
new kid learns it's not smart to be too smart in this particular building.
They're watching you.

Kirby

Date Subject Author
12/24/13
Read Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/27/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
kirby urner
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/5/14
[...]
12/26/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]