Topic: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Replies: 88   Last Post: Jan 5, 2014 9:31 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Dec 29, 2013 9:49 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9352535):
> On Dec 27, 2013, at 1:50 AM, kirby urner
> <kirby.urner@GMAIL.COM> wrote:

<snip>

> > I'm looking forward to when Robert Hansen's course
> > is one of the offerings. Why not put your insights
> > to good use?

> That makes two of us. I have created quite a bit of
> content for my reference curriculum. But I also keep
> vacillating between that and a book on mathematical
> pedagogy in general. I am just amazed at how backward
> the field went in the last 20 to 30 years.
>
> Bob Hansen

Aha! Modesty, thy name is RH!!

Actually, there would be many more than just the two of you looking forward to that book of yours, I'm sure.

QUESTION: Would your "book on mathematical pedagogy" - if that happens to be the route you will take - be based on the thesis (which you've made here several times) that "Children must be PUSHED to learn math"? (And which should be followed by GOADING if the PUSHING does not work!). [Check out the link to definition and pictures of 'Goad' - http://www.lexic.us/definition-of/goad].

Just asking, because I may well have a book on 'One Page Management System' (OPMS) coming out next year. One important section will be about the 'learning+teaching' (of disciplines in general; and of math in particular). This book will make the case that:

"Learning is best done when the student is ENCOURAGED (not PUSHED). If the ENCOURAGEMENT is effectively done, then the student is likely to learn how to PUSH him-/herself to overcome all the many difficulties and doubts that he/she would undoubtedly encounter.

We shall obviously be 'living in most interesting times' if it so happens that both these books do come out during 2014.

GSC

Date Subject Author
12/24/13
Read Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/27/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
kirby urner
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/5/14
[...]
12/26/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]