Topic: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Replies: 88   Last Post: Jan 5, 2014 9:31 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course

Robert Hansen (RH) posted ( Dec 30, 2013 9:34 PM) - GSC's remarks interspersed:

> On Dec 29, 2013, at 12:53 PM, GS Chandy
> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > QUESTION: Would your "book on mathematical
> pedagogy" - if that happens to be the route you will
> take - be based on the thesis (which you've made here
> several times) that "Children must be PUSHED to learn
> math"?
>
> It wouldn?t be a book on pedagogy if it didn?t
> include human nature. And the point was that children
> must be pushed to attain their best.

I must congratulate you on your profound 'understanding' of human nature. Would you be in a position to provide some authoritative references to back up this 'understanding' of yours? Other than Robert Hansen, John B. Watson, B.F. Skinner (and such quite thoroughly discredited 'Behaviorists'), can you provide a single credible authority to support your thesis about human motivation? 'Learning' is rather different from forcing animals to jump through hoops.

I believe somewhat differently:

Children (and others, except perhaps Robert Hansen) learn best when ENCOURAGED to do so. If such ENCOURAGEMENT is *effectively* done, then learners would learn how to PUSH themselves to overcome the many difficulties and barriers that all learners encounter. (There's a fair bit of evidence supporting the above).

> Your OPMS book I suppose will be a book of empty
> pages for the reader to fill in? Or will it be a one
> page book?
>
> Bob Hansen

You suppose wrong.

GSC
("Still Shoveling. Not PUSHING!! Not GOADING!!!")

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
12/24/13
Read Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/27/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
kirby urner
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/5/14
[...]
12/26/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]