Topic: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Replies: 88   Last Post: Jan 5, 2014 9:31 PM

GS Chandy

From: Hyderabad, Mumbai/Bangalore, India
Registered: 9/29/05
Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course

Robert Hansen (RH) posted Dec 29, 2013 10:20 PM (http://mathforum.org/kb/message.jspa?messageID=9352883) - GSC's remarks interspersed:

> On Dec 29, 2013, at 2:06 AM, GS Chandy
> <gs_chandy@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Perhaps some deeper understanding of how 'pure'
> math "LEADS TO" 'applied' math would help.
>
> Pure math doesn?t lead to applied math. Does that
> help?

Perhaps some deeper understanding of the transitive relationship "LEADS TO" might help. (Earlier too, I should have written "might" not "would").

> As an analogy, Physics doesn?t lead to engineering.

Your 'analogy' is phony.

> Pure math is the study of math.
>
> Applied math is the application of math.

Congratulations!

> Still unconvinced? How about this -
>
> Music. Music Theory.
>
> Is music theory even pertinent if you are not
> musical?
>
> Is math theory even pertinent if you are not
> mathematical?
>
> I would say ?No? to both.

As noted, it might be useful that to understand that we're talking about school math, as a basic plain and simple tool to help people cope with the basic issues they may encounter. We're NOT talking about, say, the "calculus of variations", or "Galois Theory" or "Homological Algebra". To learn and understand any of these would demand that the student is 'mathematical'. Not so for school math.

I guess you'd also claim that the student has to understand 'linguistics of Noam Chomsky' in order that he/she can learn to use language in daily life?

Feel free.

Your claim is that the student has to be what you term 'mathematical' in order that he/she can learn school math. I claim that is not so at all.

My claim is that any reasonably intelligent student who has learned to communicate can certainly learn school math (to an adequate level of competence). That most students come out of school fearing or loathing math is evidence of the failure of the educational system in teaching math. It is that failure that needs to be tackled.

> But quotas are more important here than reality. Many
> math teachers have studied math but are not even in
> the least, mathematical. And thus, the absurdities
> commence.

I do not know about your 'quotas'. I do know about 'reality' (though surely not much in detail about various specific 'realities in the USA'). I do know enough to understand the absurdities of things like:

"PUT THE EDUCATION MAFIA IN JAIL!"

"BLOW UP THE SCHOOLS OF EDUCATION!"

"Children must be PUSHED to learn math!"

I also do know enough to know that issues and problems in societal systems (whether in the USA or in India) can ONLY be tackled by the stakeholders in the systems in question. Not EVER by sloganeering.

> I don?t expect to change it, like I don?t expect to
> eradicate crime. But knowing it and avoiding it is
> very helpful.
>
> Bob Hansen

Not to worry. The above heroic slogans will do it all for you, I'm sure.

GSC
("Still Shoveling! Not PUSHING!! Not GOADING!!!)

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Message was edited by: GS Chandy

Date Subject Author
12/24/13
Read Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/24/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/27/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/29/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
12/30/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
Robert Hansen
1/1/14
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
kirby urner
1/1/14
Read Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
kirby urner
1/2/14
Read Re: Why Casual Programming doesn't Exist
Robert Hansen
1/5/14
[...]
12/26/13
Read Re: Keith Devlin's Online Course
[...]
[...]
[...]
[...]